Friday, February 10, 2006

Long GRRM Interview on the Radio

George R.R. Martin is extensively interviewed by the host of CBC Radio Studio One Book Club, out of Vancouver, right here. There are four audio clips, which together add up to about an hour. In addition to reading two passages from A Feast For Crows, Martin discusses weak fantasy writing, the role of morality in his fiction, and the charge that there is too much gratuitous sex in the series (there is also gratuitous feasting, he says, and gratuitous heraldry). It's a fascinating listen.

There are minor spoilers, for those of you not up to date with the books, but nothing too big. If you've resisted reading them for this long, though, you're really doing yourself a disservice. These books have given me the most fun I've had as a reader in my adult life. It's easily some of the best fantasy writing being done in our lifetime.

3 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

You know I've never read these books but I listened to the interview anyway, and I loved the sections he read so much I want to read them now. And I am usually suspicious of big fat fantasy novels because they became so disappointing after I read the best of them and found out 90% of the rest were just bad imitations. Martin's books seem like they might give me a series I can like again. Thanks for the link.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

I'm glad, Chris. I still am suspicious of big fat fantasy novels. It took two friends whose opinions I trust almost three years to convince me to read Martin. It was so worth it.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Tim Akers said...

Yeah, I love that damn series.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home