Saturday, January 14, 2006

In Which I Discover That My Child Is a Disney Character

Mia had her cute-engine cranked up pretty high tonight. She was singing a phrase from some song I've never heard, but I could tell she heard it on the radio because she faithfully reproduced a British accent when she got to the word "heart."

"It's my favorite song in the world," she said. "When I hear it my ears have a party!"

Also, she's been learning about Martin Luther King in kindergarten. While I was tucking her in tonight, after storytime, she said she gave "twenty prayers" for "Martin Leather King." When I said that was sweet, she told me about the birthday cake she planned to make for him, which would come with a giant frosting heart. I smiled and said that sounded really yummy.

Then she got her sad face and said, "I wish he didn't die."

"Me too," I said, rubbing the hair from her forehead.

"I would tell him, thanks for changing all those laws."

It's the kind of thing that if I saw on a movie screen I'd choke on the schmaltz. If I read it in a book I'd hurl it away and cry out, "Why do you assault me with your saccharine fantasies!?"

But it's my kid, and I'm just a sappy old dad. It's beautiful.

4 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is. It is beautiful. And what a brilliant and sensitive child to think such wise thoughts.

PamM

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

It's crazy how all the saccharine in the world is so great and you can't get enough when it comes from a kid you love. That always happens with my nieces and nephews, and the kids I teach here in Japan.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aaagh! I'm dying of cuteness! That is a wonderful picture of your little girl!

I would love to post pictures of Justine, my daughter, but my wife has asked that I keep her off of the internet, and that I don't even use her full name, alas.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

See, just goes to show you: saccharine is no subsitute for true sweetness. What a doll! Lucky man, lucky girl. Thanks for sharing, that made my evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home